Hue beef noodles soup is a perfect example of Hue’s culinary culture, it is a nutritious, yet simple dish that has been passed down through generations. This is a reminder of the rich culture of Hue people and a reminder of the importance of traditional Vietnamese cuisine.
THE ORIGIN OF HUE BEEF NOODLES
This special noodle maybe not have originated in Hue, but it is at the peak of cuisine when cooked by Hue people so “bún bò Huế” (Hue-style beef noodle soup) denotes how to cook by the local people. Within Hue Imperial citadel and surrounding areas, the locals simply call it “bún bò” (beef noodle soup).
Hue beef noodles soup is a popular soup dish that is flavorful, and spicy with pork, beef, and lemongrass. The noodles are thick and round, and the soup is typically served with a variety of toppings including sliced pork, beef, crabs cake, and pork blood,… Bun Bo Hue is traditionally served with a plate of fresh herbs, such as mint, cilantro, basil, and a lemon.
The soup is made from a variety of ingredients including pork bones, beef, shrimp paste, and fish sauce. When making the soup, people simmer the pork bones for a couple of hours until the broth is concentrated and flavorful. The beef shank is boiled in the broth for hours until becomes tender, and then the pork roll is added for a richer flavor, and finally, the shrimp paste or fish sauce is added for a unique flavor. This secret makes Hue Beef Noodles different from beef noodles in other provinces.
WHAT IS DIFFERENT ABOUT HUE BEEF NOODLES? To make a perfect bowl of Hue beef noodle soup, the broth must be well-seasoned with fish sauce and sugar. The broth should also be clear and fragrant. The beef shank should be soft and tender, and the pork roll should be thinly sliced and not too salty. The herbs should be fresh and the noodles should be cooked to perfection.
Finally, vegetables such as lettuce, bean sprouts, and onions are added to enhance the flavor.
The soup is then garnished with herbs and served with a side of chili sauce and lime wedges. The combination of the rich and flavorful broth, the tender beef, and the chewy noodles create a truly unique and comforting dish.
- To enjoy the Hue noodles, the vegetable dish is cooked separately in boiling water before being added to the soup. It is good for you if you try noodles in the street where the kitchen area is not ideal.
- Hue people eat Hue beef noodles for their breakfast, so the owner cooks from 4:00-5:00 am. The best time for tasting Hue Beef Noodles is between 6:00 and 8:00 am. After that, the bone is boiled long time so the soup becomes salt. But you also try it in the afternoon from 14h or 19h. See below for some recommendations.
HOW TO ORDER A PERFECT HUE BEEF NOODLES SOUP?
Because of many of toping and meal, you have chosen with is best with you.
- Bò Nồi: noodles with beef shank
- Bò Tái – Chả Cua: undercooked beef with crab cakes
- Bún Bò Giò (Khoanh): Noodles with beef and pork roll
- Bún Thịt Heo Ba chỉ: Noodle with pork belly
- And when you can not choose for you let’s call: Tô bún lộn xộn – Special soup mix all good things
WHERE TO EAT HUE BEEF NOODLES?
Eating Hue beef noodles in the morning (from 5:00 – 9:30 am)
- Bún Mệ Kéo: 20 Bạch Đằng Str, Huế
- Bún cơm nguội Cảnh Vân: 198B Alley 4 Chi Lăng Str or 09 Trịnh Công Sơn Str.
- Bún Bò 19 Lý Thương Kiệt Str: this restaurant is for the tourist so they are open from 6:30 – 22:00
- Bún bò Bà Tuyết: 47 Nguyễn Công Trứ Str
- Bún bò Thủy: 26 Nguyễn Công Trứ Str
Eating Hue Beef Noodles in the afternoon (from 13:00 until night)
- Bún ông Vọng: 5 Nguyễn Du Str
- Bún bò Bà Rớt: 9 Trần Hưng Đạo Str near Imperial Citadel
Eating Hue Beef Noodles in the evening (18:00 – 23:00)
- Bún Bò Mỹ Tâm: 3 Trần Cao Vân Str, Vĩnh Ninh
- Bún Bò Bà Gái: 11A Hà Nội Str, Vĩnh Ninh
- Bún bà Nga – Bún O Chi: 103 Xuân 68 Str
The popularity of Hue Beef Noodle Soup over time!
Hue beef noodles soup has been changed over time with different spices. But the remains still include the standard Hue spices with big and chewy noodles, served with an indispensable broth.
The soup is also different depending on the region. Some regions use beef. Others can add more details, muscle meat, pork rolls, crab rolls, and so on. However, Hue’s specialty keeps going over time, taking the hearts of Hue people and tourists visiting Hue. In Hue, Hue beef noodle soup is also classified as the ancient capital’s culinary quintessence.
For thousands of generations in Vietnam, let’s try Hue Beef Noodles when you visit this lovely city