Distance from Hoi An to Marble Mountain is around 20 km, it takes 30 mins driving by car and on the outskirts of Da Nang city around 8 km, stands in a cluster of 5 marble and limestone hills. There are 5 mountains are named metal, water, wood, fire, and earth. The main mountain, Thuy Son – Water Mount, is home to several Buddhist caves. It has large Pagoda called Tam Thai, built in 1825.
If you’re looking for a good place to visit from Hoi An or Da Nang, Marble Mountain is the great site to visit for your group. the entrance ticket for this place is 40.000 vnd for climbing 156 steps to the top of the mountain or easier, you can buy the ticket for elevator 15.000 vnd/ way.
I hate the elevator in here because it to modern with this place – puzzling modern designed elevator running up the side. At the top, you are rewarded with the great view of the coastline of Danang City, and the opportunity to purchase and light incense sticks to place in the Buddhist sanctuaries.
Marble Mountain has many small hidden treasures, much more than the outside suggests. From small shrines and intimate caves to grand ancient halls where the sunshine beams through small crevices. The caves stay at a comfortable 19-220 C, so stay there, we can break from the summer.
Visiting Marble mountain in the early morning or evening offers relief from a heat; after 5h00 pm, they stop charging an entry fee and you can see the sunset from the top of the mountain. Remember to bring the flashlight for go down.
The highlight of discovering the caves, however, is the light streaming into the caverns through the air from the openings from above. Take advance of capture great pictures, this only happens between 10h00 am and 2h00 pm. Our recommendation is to visit here in the middle of the day and sweat it out as you can seek out one of the cool caverns for relief between trips out into the blazing sun.
The villages around the Marble Mountains are known as for their delicate carvings. And there are many bargains to be made at the numerous shops around the base of the mountains. The statues are carved by craftsman with rudimentary tools. It has many souvenir shops here and you can drop in to see and buy small things such as chicken, elephant, dog statue… A tip for you when shopping here is just to make sure you deal with the shop owners’ sometimes overly enthusiastic sales pitch.
HOW TO GET TO MARBLE MOUNTAIN
- Hoi An private car transfer 14 USD/ sedan, 17 USD/ minivan/ way
- Motorbike or Bicycle – you can rent at your hotel or local travel agent. Around 60 – 120.000 vnd/ day
- Bus line from Hoi An – Danang: Hoi An Bus Station – Le Van Hien str – Ngu Hanh Son str (stop here and visit Marble Mountain) – Bach Dang str – Phan Dinh Phung str – Yen Bai str – Le Duan str – Dien Bien Phu str – Ton Duc Thang str – Da Nang bus station.
Price: 30.000 vnd ~ 1.5 USD
- Da Nang private car transfer 14 USD/ sedan, 17 USD/ minivan.
- By Bus – The Da Nang – Hoi An (yellow bus) bus stops right near the mountain. It cost around 30.000 vnd ~ 1.5 USD
- Motorbike or Bicycle – you can rent at your hotel or local travel agent. Around 50 – 100.000 vnd/ day