Before emperor Gia Long death, he left his will to have Prince Nguyen Phuc Dam succeed to his throne. On the Lunar New Year’s Day in the year of dragons (February 14, 1820) Prince Nguyen Phuc Dam ascended the throne with the dynastic title of Minh Mang emperor. Before the coronation, the courtiers reported that event to the Heaven and the Earth at the Nam Giao Esplanade, the Xa Tac Terraces and other temples. As for Prince Dam, he also personally reported this important fact be-fore Thua Thien Highest Empress’s altar. Although being Prince Canh’s own mother, she always considered Prince Dam her

In 1826, the 7th year of Minh Mang emperor reign, he ordered all the mandarins who were skilled in geomancy to find good land for the construction his tomb. It was only in 1840 that he could select the most satisfactory site and design for Minh Mang emperor as we see today. Mandarin Le Van Duc found the suitable site and was promoted two ranks. In April 1840, Minh Mang emperor visited the site and gave the mountainous area of Cam Ke the new name of Hieu Son. He then ordered two high- ran emperor mandarins: Truong Dang Que and Bui Cong Huyen,